Acne Home > Important Information on Accutane
When and How to Take AccutaneSome general considerations for those taking this medication include the following:
- Accutane comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day with food.
- It is important to take the medication with food, as taking it on an empty stomach significantly decreases its absorption.
- For many people, a single 15- to 20-week course of the medication will be sufficient. However, if acne is still a problem eight weeks after stopping Accutane, a second course may be recommended.
- There are strict rules for taking this drug. Women of childbearing potential must use two effective forms of birth control and must have frequent pregnancy tests in order to prevent the use of this medication during pregnancy.
- For Accutane to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Accutane your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your acne
- Your weight
- How you respond to the drug.
Side Effects of AccutaneAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Accutane. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. However, serious side effects are also possible.
- High triglycerides
- Hearing problems
- Psychiatric problems, such as depression or suicidal thoughts
- Dry eyes, lips, nose, and skin.