Acne Channel
Topics & Medications
Quicklinks
Related Channels

BenzaClin Overdose

Using too much BenzaClin (clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide) may cause skin burning, peeling, and discomfort. An overdose may also occur if this medication is taken by mouth. Treatment can include drinking milk or water to help dilute the medication in the stomach or treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.

Can You Use Too Much BenzaClin?

BenzaClin® (clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide) is a prescription medication used in the treatment of acne. It comes in the form of a gel that is applied directly to the skin. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much BenzaClin. An overdose also is possible if this medicine is taken by mouth.
 
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the BenzaClin dosage, whether it was applied to the skin or taken by mouth, and the area(s) of the body exposed to the medication.
 

Effects of an Overdose

Symptoms of an overdose with BenzaClin may include:
 
  • Red and swollen skin
  • Skin burning, peeling, and discomfort
  • Inflammation of the eyelids or conjunctiva (the membrane lining the eyelids)
  • A slow heart rate
  • Decreased body temperature
  • Shortness of breath and wheezing
  • Abdominal (stomach) pain
  • Stupor.
 

Treating a BenzaClin Overdose

If the overdose was recent and the BenzaClin was taken by mouth, a healthcare provider may recommend water or milk to help dilute the medication in the abdomen (stomach). The amount of water or milk will depend on whether the overdose was taken by an adult or a child.
 
In cases of eye exposure, a healthcare provider may flush the eyes with large amounts of room-temperature water to help clear the medicine. If too much BenzaClin was applied to the skin, treatment may involve washing the exposed area with soap and water.
 
In addition, treatment may involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive care for an overdose of BenzaClin may be necessary in cases of persistent skin or eye irritation and pain.
 
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much BenzaClin.

BenzaClin Gel Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.