If you happen to use too much Azelex (azelaic acid cream) on the skin, it may result in itching, burning, or stinging. Taking it by mouth might cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Besides stopping the medication temporarily, treatment for an Azelex overdose will also consist of supportive care, which involves treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Use Too Much Azelex?Azelex® (azelaic acid cream) is a prescription medication approved to treat acne. As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Azelex.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Azelex dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth).
Symptoms of an OverdoseApplying too much Azelex or applying it too often may result in itching, burning, and stinging. If the medication is accidentally taken by mouth, which might happen with a young child or pet, the most likely effects are nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Serious consequences are unlikely.
Nonetheless, it is important to seek immediate medical attention if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on Azelex.
Treating an Overdose of AzelexTreatment for an Azelex overdose, if necessary, will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Of course, treatment will also involve stopping Azelex, at least temporarily.
If Azelex was taken by mouth, it is sometimes recommended to drink milk or water to dilute the medication. However, check with a healthcare provider or a poison control center before attempting this.