What You Should Know About Acanya
Clinical EffectsIn clinical studies, Acanya reduced the number of acne lesions in people with moderate-to-severe acne. In these studies, people using Acanya had a more noticeable overall improvement in their acne than people who used clindamycin, benzoyl peroxide, or a placebo (a gel that does not contain any active ingredients) for 12 weeks.
In one study, people using Acanya had a 55 percent decrease, on average, in inflammatory acne lesions. By comparison, people using clindamycin had a 47 percent decrease, people using benzoyl peroxide had a 49 percent decrease, and people using the placebo had a 34 percent decrease. Acanya also reduced the number of noninflammatory acne lesions more than the other products.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Acanya include the following:
- This medication comes in a gel. It is usually applied in a thin layer (a "pea-sized" amount) to the face once daily.
- Before using Acanya, gently wash the affected area(s) with a mild cleanser, rinse with warm water, and pat dry. Apply the medication after your face is dry.
- Acanya should only be applied to the skin. Avoid getting it in your eyes, nose, or mouth, as is can irritate these areas. Wash your hands thoroughly after applying it.
- Apply the medicine to the entire face (or other affected area), not just individual pimples.
- To minimize the risk of excessive skin irritation, do not use astringents, alcohol-containing toners, or other medicated skin products while using Acanya without your healthcare provider's approval.
- Try to avoid prolonged or excessive sun exposure while using this medicine, as it will make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Make sure to use sunscreen and wear protective clothing, such as a hat, while you are out in the sun.
- Apply Acanya to intact skin only. Do not apply it to cuts or open wounds.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Applying more gel or applying it more often, will not make it work faster or more effectively.