If someone uses too much Acanya (clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide) on the skin, it may result in burning, peeling, and discomfort. Taking it by mouth might cause stomach pain or decreased body temperature. Treatment for an overdose of this medication may include supportive care, which involves treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Use Too Much Acanya?Acanya® (clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide) is a topical prescription medication used to treat mild-to-severe forms of acne. It is a combination of two medicines: benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Acanya. An overdose also is possible if this medicine is taken by mouth.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Acanya dosage, whether it was applied to the skin or taken by mouth, and the area(s) of the body exposed to the medication.
- Red and swollen skin
- Skin burning, peeling, and discomfort
- Inflammation of the eyelids or conjunctiva (the membrane lining the eyelids)
- A slow heart rate
- Decreased body temperature
- Shortness of breath and wheezing
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
Treating an Acanya OverdoseIf the overdose was recent and the medicine was taken by mouth, a healthcare provider may recommend water or milk to help dilute the medication in the abdomen (stomach). The amount of water or milk will depend on whether the overdose was taken by an adult or a child.
In cases of eye exposure, a healthcare provider may flush the eyes with large amounts of room-temperature water to help clear the medicine. If too much Acanya was applied to the skin, treatment may involve washing the exposed area with soap and water.
In addition, treatment may involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive care for an Acanya overdose may be necessary in cases of persistent skin or eye irritation and pain.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.