The standard Acanya dose is to apply a pea-sized amount of the gel to the affected areas of the skin once daily. When applying this medicine, keep it away from your eyes, mouth, and nose, and wash your hands afterwards. If you do not notice an improvement within six to eight weeks, contact your healthcare provider about whether to continue using this medication.
An Introduction to Dosing With AcanyaThere is only one standard recommended dose of Acanya® (clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your Acanya dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Acanya Dosage for AcneThe typical dosage of Acanya for treating acne is a pea-sized amount applied to the face once daily. The medication should be applied after gently washing, rinsing, and drying the face.
For the best results, you should apply Acanya to the entire affected area(s), not just individual pimples. Also, Acanya should be used on a daily basis to help prevent pimples from forming, not just when an outbreak occurs.
When you first start using Acanya, your acne might temporarily get worse before it gets better. This is because most people have acne lesions hidden beneath the skin. After these pimples come to the surface and heal, your overall skin appearance should improve.
Some people may see results in as little as two weeks. For others, it may take longer. If your skin has not noticeably improved after using Acanya for six to eight weeks, talk to your healthcare provider about whether you should continue using Acanya.
General Information on Using AcanyaSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Acanya include the following:
- This medication comes in a gel. It is usually applied in a thin layer (a "pea-sized" amount) to the face once daily.
- Before using Acanya, gently wash the affected area(s) with a mild cleanser, rinse with warm water, and pat dry. Apply the medication after your face is dry.
- Acanya should only be applied to the skin. Avoid getting it in your eyes, nose, or mouth, as is can irritate these areas. Wash your hands thoroughly after applying it.
- Apply the medicine to the entire face (or other affected area), not just individual pimples.
- To minimize the risk of excessive skin irritation, do not use astringents, alcohol-containing toners, or other medicated skin products while using Acanya without your healthcare provider's approval.
- Try to avoid prolonged or excessive sun exposure while using this medicine, as it will make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Make sure to use sunscreen and wear protective clothing, such as a hat, while you are out in the sun.
- Apply Acanya to intact skin only. Do not apply it to cuts or open wounds.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Applying more gel or applying it more often, will not make it work faster or more effectively.
- Like all medications that contain benzoyl peroxide, Acanya can bleach fabrics, such as clothing, sheets, and towels.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Acanya, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.